How to Wear Cufflinks on a Regular Shirt?MLAWEBDESIGNS
Cufflinks are amazing! Yes, they are. If you think about it, when can a man wear a jewellery piece that is both ornamental and functional? If you haven’t tried wearing cufflinks, well you are missing out on a lot!
Cufflinks have long been traditionally associated with men’s formal or semiformal wear such as a tuxedo ensemble. Others refer to these versatile accessories as “formal jewellery.” They are great if you want to add a personal touch to your tuxedo, cufflink shirt or suit.
Modern cufflinks come in a wide range of choices. In fact, you can even support your favourite sports team wearing bespoke cufflinks.
But before getting one, you should know first how to wear them. As long as you have a long-sleeved shirt with the necessary holes in the cuff, then you can easily wear your cufflinks. If by chance you don’t own a cufflink shirt or a shirt with a French or double cuff, then this article is for you.
Below are details on how you can modify your regular shirt into a shirt for with a double cuff and how to wear cufflinks. By modifying a regular shirt with cuffs is a viable alternative to buying a new shirt. And it is simple enough even for beginners.
How to make a cufflink shirt
- Get a shirt with sleeves that are long enough to wear with the cuffs folded up once. Remove the buttons on the shirt’s cuff
- Fold the cuff once, exposing the cuff’s underside. It will be the outside once finished.
- Lay the sleeves on a flat surface and line up the cuff’s open edges.
- Locate the shirt’s original button holes. Mark a small line beneath the buttonhole with the edges still aligned. Don’t forget to mark the opposite sides of each sleeve.
- Using a backstitch, sew around the edges of the lines. It should be almost a rectangular shape so that you can create 3 more button holes.
- Leave 1/6th inch in between two rows of stitching. Then, cut through the middle of each buttonhole to create an opening.
- Sew using a whipstitch or over-under around the edges to reinforce the fabric, preventing it from fraying. The cufflinks, once inserted, should fit through all 4 holes and should hold the double cuff when worn.
How to wear cufflinks
You can wear cufflinks with either a single cuff or with a double cuff. The single cuff looks much like a regular pair of cuff on a dress shirt but with holes on both sides. Meanwhile, a double cuff or French cuffs have two holes on both sides of the opening.
- Pinch the cuff of your shirt’s sleeves together so that the insides are “kissing” or pressed together.
- Insert the cufflink all the way through both holes on the cuff of the shirt. The cufflink’s face or the decorative or coloured part should face the outside when you arm is on the side.
- Depending on the style of the cufflink, secure it on the backside of the cuff, and there you have it!
There are no hard and fast rules to wearing cufflinks. So grab a pair and put on your cufflink shirts and get noticed by those around you!